Sunday, February 28, 2010

Barry McGee: Graffiti AND Gallery Artist

Barry McGee is a contemporary painter and graffiti artist, who also often goes by the tag or name "Twist." He grew up in California tagging and doing graffiti, and eventually went to San Francisco to study art in college. Since graduating, he has become a successful artist, with shows in galleries and museums across America. Although McGee could easily go on, working only as a professional artist, he says:

"Whenever I do stuff indoors, I always feel like I have to do 110% more stuff outdoors to keep my street credibility. It's probably the audience that I'm most worried about, like the graffiti kids who are really doing stuff. And I'm always weird about how I sit in the eye of like, a 12 or a 13 year-old kid, like how do they think of me." He wants to know if those same kids think "Oh, that guy - he sold out."



This is a clip from a documentary about McGee and other artists called art:21. To watch the full episode, go to http://www.pbs.org/art21/artists/mcgee/

These are some of McGee's works:








McGee is an example of someone who has found a way to combine their street art with life as a professional artist. Do you think he has the best of both worlds? Or do you, like McGee, worry that he's "sold out"?

No comments:

Post a Comment

For more information:
* go to www.BurlingtonCityArts.com or
* contact Melissa Stiebert
Community Programs Coordinator
802.865.9163 or mstiebert@ci.burlington.vt.us.